Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 604 questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hostboard Member
    604 questions


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    604 questions

    I've got a pair of 604-8ks in ersatz 612 cabinets that I'm about to fire up for the first time, and I've got a couple of questions.

    The bug screens are partially blocked with a white powdery substance of some kind. It looks like oxidation on aluminum screens. How do I remove them? Do I just start removing screws until something happens, or is there a trick? From the front or back? I know a lot of folks prefer not to use the screens - is there any downside, aside from bugs, to just leaving them out?

    One of the 604-8k crossovers is missing a plastic knob. It's 1-1/4" dia., with a 1/4" shaft hole with 24 splines, and a chrome ring and hash mark on the face. Are these available easily?

    Thanks,

    Ed

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 604 questions

    You'll have to cut the screens out, and i don't advise it if you plan to sell them anytime soon. Removing screws is likely to take you somewhere that you don't want to go.

    What i have done for knobs, both early and late style, is to shop single networks in the off season, rob the knobs, and then flip the knobless networks this time of year. There are a few other pieces of "under the radar gear" that are economical knob sources as well, especially for the earlier bakelite knobs and chckenheads.

    I have a lifetime supply of spares, and made a few bucks doing it.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    604 questions


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member
    604 questions


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604 questions

    Thanks, gentlemen! OG- the knobs look great. I'll have the speakers up and running sometime next week, and see if the blockage is noticeable. I'm thinking I attack it with an acid brush and a small vacuum, and do the best I can from the outside.

    Ed

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 604 questions

    Be sure you remove the diaphragm before doing the work.

    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: 604 questions

    I agree with Ron, take out the phragms and then use a brush kinda like a toothbrush but with the bristles pointing out the end and try brushing the screen through the horn and sucking it out with a vacuum.

    Sorry, somehow that's just what you said, for a minute there I saw a brush with acid on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.